Add this spectacular Gammon to your Christmas table and serve with our scrumptious berry-jewelled spinach salad.
Prep time: 25 min
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 min
1 x 2 kg smoked Gammon
2 onions, peeled and quartered
5 cm fresh ginger, roughly chopped
500 ml (2 c) ginger ale
750 ml (3 c) rooibos tea
30-45 ml (2-3 T) honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
15 ml (1 T) pomegranate syrup
60 ml (¼ c) honey
60 ml (¼ c) olive oil
45 ml (3 T) balsamic vinegar
30 ml (2 T) honey
5 ml (1 t) wholegrain mustard
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper
5 ml (1 t) dried mixed herbs
A bunch of fresh spinach
100 g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
125 g fresh blackberries (or other berries of your choice)
2 wheels feta, roughly crumbled
1. Place the gammon along with the onions and ginger in a large pot. Cover with the ginger ale and rooibos tea – add more water if the gammon is not completely covered. Bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour or according to the instructions on the packaging.
2. Score a diamond pattern into the skin of the gammon and stud the fat with the cloves.
3. GRAVY Simmer the liquid left in the pot until reduced by half. Add the honey and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. GLAZE Mix the syrup and honey and brush over the gammon. Grill in the oven for 10 min or until golden and sticky.
5. SALAD DRESSING Mix everything together.
6. SALAD Lightly toss all of the ingredients in a salad bowl and drizzle with the dressing.
7. TO SERVE Carve the gammon and serve with the gravy and salad.